916.447.4113 info@thecpsa.org

Did you know the California Air Resources Board (CARB) has requirements for your commercial trucks, off-road vehicles (e.g., self-propelled with diesel engines), and for large spark-ignition engines (e.g. forklifts, sweepers/scrubbers, and industrial tow tractors)? CARB also has regulations to limit idling from heavy-duty vehicles, both on-road and off-road, as well as sales disclosure requirements to inform the buyer that the vehicle is subject to CARB regulations.

These rules are in place to reduce air pollution that comes from burning fuel. They help keep your workers safer and make the air cleaner for everyone. If you are not reporting or meeting emission requirements, you could face significant fines and penalties if you operate noncompliant equipment in the state or violate idling or sales disclosure laws. Here’s what you need to know to get in compliance and stay in compliance.

Off-Road Diesel Vehicles

  • Fleets of off-road, self-propelled diesel vehicles 25 horsepower or greater must comply with emissions performance requirements.
  • Each year, your off-road fleet must get gradually cleaner, either by replacing or retiring vehicles, or using exhaust retrofits.
  • Emissions performance requirements:
    • Started in 2014 for large fleets (over 5,000 horsepower (hp) total)
    • Begin January 1, 2017 for medium fleets
    • Begin January 1, 2019 for small fleets (less than 2,500 hp)
  • Large and medium fleets can legally add only vehicles with Tier 3 or cleaner engines to their fleet.
  • Small fleets can legally add only vehicles with Tier 2 or cleaner engines to their fleet.
  • All vehicles need to be labeled and reported; you need to update and confirm your reporting annually by March 1.

Large Spark-Ignition Engines

  • Large spark-ignition (LSI) engines in equipment such as forklifts, sweeper/scrubbers, industrial tow tractors, and airport ground support equipment are subject to CARB regulation.
  • LSI engines are 25 horsepower or greater, and greater than 1.0-liter displacement.
  • Fleets of 4 or more of this type of equipment must comply with emission performance requirements.
  • If you own this type of equipment, you may need to label and report each piece of equipment to CARB using the same reporting system as for off-road diesel vehicles; you need to update and confirm your reporting annually between June 1 and June 30.

Learn more about your specific requirements and emissions performance dates by visiting The Off-Road Zone website, emailing doors@arb.ca.gov, or calling the DOORS hotline at (877) 59- DOORS.